Periodontist in Rochester, NY
KEEP HEALTHY SMILE WITH THE LEADING PERIODONTAL CENTER IN ROCHESTER, NY
If you have pain in your gums, don’t put off a trip to the dentist! Call Adina Family Dental Care today at (585) 227-4900 to set up an appointment.
Don’t let gum disease compromise your smile and your health. The compassionate team at Adina Family Dental Care has the expertise and equipment to provide top-notch periodontal treatment in Rochester, NY, and the surrounding areas.
What Is Periodontal Disease?
Plaque is a naturally occurring film of oral bacteria that lines the teeth. Plaque and bacteria produce acids in the mouth after eating or drinking. Regular brushing and a diet low in sugary foods help keep plaque and bacteria production under control.
Without regular oral hygiene, plaque calcifies and leaves hard deposits at and below the gum line, creating tartar. This process is the precursor to periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease is a serious dental health condition that weakens and slowly destroys the teeth and gums. Periodontal disease can also damage your general physical health. In addition, if the bacteria associated with periodontal disease seeps into the bloodstream, the results can be life-threatening.
Signs of Periodontal Disease in Rochester, NY
Regular oral hygiene is the best preventative measure against periodontal disease. Healthy gums should be a pale pink color. In addition, your gums should be taut and fit firmly around the teeth.
There are several telltale signs of unhealthy gums and periodontal disease. Be mindful of the following symptoms as you go about your daily oral hygiene practice:
- Gums are swollen and tender
- Discomfort while biting or chewing
- Gums are red or purplish
- Bleeding gums or traces of blood on your toothbrush after brushing
- A pink tinge to your toothbrush following a brushing
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Pus along the gum line or between the teeth
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
If you notice any of the symptoms above, schedule an appointment with the skilled team at Adina Family Dental Care for periodontal treatment in Rochester, NY.
Current Treatments for Periodontal Disease
Our team of board-certified dentists and endodontists at Adina Family Dental Care have experience with surgical and non-surgical methods to treat gum disease. Your dentist will tailor a treatment plan based on your circumstances.
Non-Surgical Treatment for Periodontal Disease in Rochester, NY
In less severe cases of periodontal disease, the first course of action is a targeted cleaning of the teeth and gums. Non-surgical gum disease treatments include:
- Scaling – This treatment removes bacteria and tartar buildup on the teeth and beneath the gum line.
- Root planing – This procedure includes removing bacteria buildup below the gums and smoothing rough surfaces of the root.
- Antibiotics – Your dentist may prescribe oral or topical antibiotics to eradicate the bacterial infection. Topical oral antibiotics are usually in the form of oral rinses or gels.
Your dentist at Adina Family Dental Care will determine the best treatment based on your situation. We always provide a comprehensive explanation of the procedure and the anticipated results. Our team will also provide a post-treatment oral hygiene plan to reduce the risk of developing gum disease later.
Surgical Treatment for Periodontal Disease in Rochester, NY
In more severe cases of periodontal disease, your dentist may recommend surgery to prevent bone loss and restore oral health. These procedures include:
- Flap surgery – This type of reconstructive surgery requires healthy, living tissue from a donor site.
- Soft tissue (gum) grafting – Gum grafting helps repair gum recession.
- Guided tissue regeneration – The goal of this treatment is to regrow damaged bone and gum tissue.
- Tissue-stimulating proteins – Enamel matrix proteins assist in rebuilding damaged periodontal attachments.
- Bone grafting – This procedure aids in generating new bone to replace bones destroyed by periodontal disease.
Our team at Adina Family Dental wants you to feel confident and comfortable with your treatment plan, so we are here to answer all your questions before starting any procedure.
How to Prevent Periodontal Disease in Rochester, NY
Regularly brushing and flossing your teeth throughout the day removes bacteria-causing food particles on the teeth and gums. Consistently practicing regular oral hygiene is the best way to prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar that cause gum disease.
Regular dental exams and professional teeth cleaning (twice per year) also reduce the likelihood of developing gum disease. If you have been treated for gum disease in the past, more frequent dental visits may be recommended.
Adina Family Dental Care is a full-service dental practice providing quality dental care and periodontal treatment in Rochester, NY. If you’re experiencing symptoms associated with periodontal disease, call us today at (585) 227-4900 to set up an appointment.